My low sugar diet also means low carb, as the starch and glucose in potatoes raises your blood sugar, so I've been looking for some good alternatives. I like cauliflower and wondered if I could make a fish pie and put mashed cauli on top, and found a few recipes online doing just that.
I followed this recipe for the cauliflower puree but I couldn't get mine smooth enough; I think if I had cooked the cauli for longer so it was softer that might have been better. I wouldn't have thought to add cheese and cream into it as well; it was quite nice, though to be honest I would have preferred mashed potato!
For the fish pie, I cooked a mixture of fish - I think I had white fish, salmon and smoked mackerel, and added some chopped leaks and made a white sauce.
I put it in a pie dish, spread the cauliflower mash over the top and popped it in the oven to brown.
Here you can see the fish and the topping. This felt like a very virtuous recipe and is good if you're cutting down on potatoes and miss having fish pie - but I have to say I would only eat it as "diet food", whereas a lot of the low cal/fat/sugar recipes I make are nice enough to eat whether you are on a diet or not.
clicksor_enable_inter = true; clicksor_maxad = -1;
clicksor_hourcap = -1; clicksor_showcap = 2;
clicksor_enable_adhere = false;
//default pop-under house ad url
clicksor_enable_pop = true; clicksor_frequencyCap = -1;
durl = '';clicksor_mobile_redirect = false;
//default banner house ad url
clicksor_default_url = '';
clicksor_banner_border = '#fec700'; clicksor_banner_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF';
clicksor_banner_link_color = '#000000'; clicksor_banner_text_color = '#666666';
clicksor_banner_image_banner = false; clicksor_banner_text_banner = false;
clicksor_layer_border_color = '#fec700';
clicksor_layer_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF'; clicksor_layer_ad_link_color = '#000000';
clicksor_layer_ad_text_color = '#666666'; clicksor_text_link_bg = '';
clicksor_text_link_color = ''; clicksor_enable_text_link = false;
Contestants on this year's Great British Bake Off were asked to make floating islands, a recipe I recently came across in the M...
White Chicken Adobo, Adobong Puti is another version of my Adobong Puti . This time I have adopted the recipe from my post, Food Safari...
Special Chicharon Bulaklak . The chicharon bulaklak is made up of pig mesentery , the fatty tissue that hold together the pig’s small i...
The letter for this month's Alphabakes is Q - a little difficult when it comes to baking (I did a Queen of Puddings when this letter...
This was both the most memorable meal of my life, and the most forgettable, because I can barely recall what I ate (though luckily for this ...
Adobong Pusit at Baboy, Squid and Pork Adobo . I first tasted this adobo squid and pork combination at a specialty restaurant at Resorts...
This pie is based on an idea I saw in a Slimming World book or magazine a while ago but isn't actually particularly Slimming - I wanted ...
I love apple crumble but as my husband doesn't eat apple I almost never make it - because I feel like I'd have to make him an equi...
Recently I have been adding to my cookery book collection every time I go into my local charity shop - but I've had to stop as I...
Restaurant name : Nando's Location : Mile End Road, Whitechapel, London Description : Chain of South African restaurants servin...
- Slow Cooker Thai Green Beef Curry
- Meal Planning Monday Week 24
- Eton Mess cupcakes
- Restaurant Review: Redfearns, Wincanton, Somerset
- Birthday Presents and Stamped Sentiments Card
- Deconstructed No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Review: Holbrook House Hotel, Wincanton, Somerset
- Meal Planning Monday Week 23
- Alpaca Cookies and Alpaca Adventure, Dorset
- Low Carb Fish Pie with Cauliflower Mash
- M&M chocolate birthday cake
- Quick Make: 60th Birthday Card
- Restaurant review: Debenhams Oxford Street
- Meal Planning Monday Week 21
- Spiralized Vegetables with Broccoli Pesto
- Chicken en Papilotte with Orange Veg
- Quinoa Cheese Tartlets
- Lorraine Pascale's Blueberry and Limoncello Drizzl...
- Restaurant Review: The Swan at Stoford, Wiltshire
- Birthday Girl Party Card
- Meal Planning Monday Week 20
- Restaurant Review: Cashmore Inn, Cashmore, Dorset
- Amazing Jaffa Cake Cupcakes
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Risotto
- Slimming World Creamy Coriander and Minted Chicken...
- Review: Premier Inn, Edinburgh Park
- Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 Week 19
- ▼ May (28)
- ► 2015 (266)
- ► 2014 (121)
Powered by Blogger.