Mostly when my husband and I go to the cinema we have dinner beforehand - we've found that if we drive to Epsom town centre after dinner to watch a film around 8pm, it's very hard to find anywhere to park! It also makes it more of an evening out if we have a meal as well, though as we don't tend to have a lot of time, we choose places that are near to the cinema.
This time we were walking down the street and I spotted a place I hadn't noticed before, though apparently they have been there a while! The Caballo Lounge is part of a chain but has quite an independent, quirky feel (obviously a result of meticulous research and planning across the chain!).
You'd be forgiven for thinking you had stepped into someone's living room (if their living room had a bar) - there are walls lined with books, sofas as well as tables and chairs, lampshades, board games - it looks like somewhere you could while away an afternoon with friends or children or go out for a drink in the evening.
Caballo Lounge offers everything from breakfasts to burgers, by way of paninis and pastries. They even have separate gluten-free and vegan menus which is something you don't see very often. As we went in the evening we wanted dinner; I love macaroni cheese so I ordered the mac and cheese (£8.95) which came with roasted butternut squash and tenderstem broccoli and garlic bread.
I was a bit disappointed that the cheese sauce was a bit thin and didn't have a strong flavour and that the whole dish didn't come together particularly well - it was basically some pasta, some chunks of butternut squash and a long piece of broccoli in a dish, as if each element had been cooked separately and then just put into the dish to serve. I would have preferred something baked in the oven with a crispy topping and a thicker cheese sauce. It was a shame as I really liked the place otherwise and I'm not sure whether I would go back or not.
clicksor_enable_inter = true; clicksor_maxad = -1;
clicksor_hourcap = -1; clicksor_showcap = 2;
clicksor_enable_adhere = false;
//default pop-under house ad url
clicksor_enable_pop = true; clicksor_frequencyCap = -1;
durl = '';clicksor_mobile_redirect = false;
//default banner house ad url
clicksor_default_url = '';
clicksor_banner_border = '#fec700'; clicksor_banner_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF';
clicksor_banner_link_color = '#000000'; clicksor_banner_text_color = '#666666';
clicksor_banner_image_banner = false; clicksor_banner_text_banner = false;
clicksor_layer_border_color = '#fec700';
clicksor_layer_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF'; clicksor_layer_ad_link_color = '#000000';
clicksor_layer_ad_text_color = '#666666'; clicksor_text_link_bg = '';
clicksor_text_link_color = ''; clicksor_enable_text_link = false;
Contestants on this year's Great British Bake Off were asked to make floating islands, a recipe I recently came across in the M...
White Chicken Adobo, Adobong Puti is another version of my Adobong Puti . This time I have adopted the recipe from my post, Food Safari...
Special Chicharon Bulaklak . The chicharon bulaklak is made up of pig mesentery , the fatty tissue that hold together the pig’s small i...
The letter for this month's Alphabakes is Q - a little difficult when it comes to baking (I did a Queen of Puddings when this letter...
This was both the most memorable meal of my life, and the most forgettable, because I can barely recall what I ate (though luckily for this ...
Adobong Pusit at Baboy, Squid and Pork Adobo . I first tasted this adobo squid and pork combination at a specialty restaurant at Resorts...
This pie is based on an idea I saw in a Slimming World book or magazine a while ago but isn't actually particularly Slimming - I wanted ...
I love apple crumble but as my husband doesn't eat apple I almost never make it - because I feel like I'd have to make him an equi...
Recently I have been adding to my cookery book collection every time I go into my local charity shop - but I've had to stop as I...
Restaurant name : Nando's Location : Mile End Road, Whitechapel, London Description : Chain of South African restaurants servin...
- Salted Caramel Whoopie Pies
- Pink Shoes Birthday Card
- Slimming World Cauliflower Rosti Pie
- Restaurant review: Barraka, Artillery Lane, London...
- Meal Planning Monday Week 39 - Sugar Free Septembe...
- Sailing Family Scrabble Name Picture
- Restaurant review: South Place Chop House, London
- Bang On The Door Birthday Card
- Tuscan Chianti Chicken Cacciatora
- Sugar-Free Brownie Bites - Sugar Free September
- You're Sew Lovely Greetings Card
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - week 38 - Sugar Free S...
- DIY Wedding: Photo Booth Props and Guest Book
- Liver Stew - for cats!
- Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara with Spiralized Vegeta...
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - Week 37 - Sugar Free S...
- Tattered Lace Pink Shoe Card
- Mary Berry Lavender Shortbread Biscuits
- Restaurant review: Caballo Lounge, Epsom
- Tiramisu Cupcakes - coffee cakes for people who do...
- Carrot Rice 'Risotto' with Chorizo
- Restaurant review: Dotty's Teahouse, Carshalton
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - Week 36 - Sugar Free S...
- Chocolate and Merlot Red Wine Cupcakes - Wilton Sh...
- Movie night: pairing your wine with your popcorn
- 5 Sugar-Free Breakfast Recipes - Sugar Free Septem...
- Slow Cooker Chicken Korma
- ▼ September (29)
- ► 2015 (266)
- ► 2014 (121)
Powered by Blogger.