Friday, June 19, 2015

Austrian Schnitzel with Sauerkraut



It's the Austrian Grand Prix this weekend and there was really only one thing I could make for Formula 1 Foods - schnitzel. As I explained in this post after I went to Vienna last year, Wiener Schnitzel is the national dish of Austria. To be completely traditional it would have to be made with veal, but pork is very common and so is chicken.

I made pork for me and chicken for my boyfriend, dipping a piece of meat into flour then egg then breadcrumbs, and frying until cooked through.


The accompaniments are important too - sauerkraut is a must, though I bought this rather than made it. Many UK supermarkets sell sauerkraut - I used to get it from Lidl as they carry a lot of German brands but they stopped selling it due to lack of demand, but luckily I picked some up in either Sainsbury's or Tesco - I forget which now.


When I ate the Schnitzel in Austria, it was beaten into a very large thin piece of meat - I don't know how they did it. There were a choice of sides but the traditional one was boiled potatoes with parsley - far nicer than it sounds, so that's what I made with my Schnitzel this time.


There's still time to send in your Austrian-inspired recipes to Formula 1 Foods!



0 comments:

Post a Comment