Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Restaurant Review: The Gathering, Edinburgh Airport

Travelling from Edinburgh back to London for work I found myself at the airport at dinner time. The choices after security seemed to be a couple of pub-style restaurants including Wetherspoons, where I have eaten before (that is, this specific branch), a sushi bar, a seafood and champagne bar, and various coffee and sandwich shops.
I was with two colleagues and we decided on The Gathering, which I was pleased about as I hadn’t been there before, and the menu promised “fresh, local ingredients and traditional dishes, often with a contemporary and creative twist.” You can’t get much more local in Scotland than haggis!

My colleague went for the haggis, neeps and tatties and while I wasn’t that brave – I’ve had haggis before and enjoyed it but it was a long time ago and I wasn’t sure I wanted a plateful again – I did quite fancy something a bit different. So I chose the Nessie pizza – mozzarella and haggis. I guess there aren’t really any other toppings that would go together with that particular combination, so it did mean that the pizza was quite heavy on the haggis. It was surprisingly nice; the haggis had quite a strong, slightly peppery flavour which went well with the cheese, and it actually worked quite well on a pizza.
Service was fast and friendly, and we had no problem having the meal in half an hour from ordering to paying. I’m sure I will be visiting Edinburgh again so I will try to check out one of the other restaurants next time, but I would be happy to eat here again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment