Friday, October 16, 2015

Formula 1 Foods: Russia roundup and the next challenge: USA


The Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix was won by Lewis Hamilton, which made my fiancé very happy. The Russian cake I made might have made him happy too but I ended up taking it into work!

I had a look online for a suitable Russian recipe I could make and came across one for a layered honey cake. I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and wasn't exactly thrilled by how the cake looked on the outside, but when you slice it, you can see the thin layers and it does look quite neat. It had a biscuit taste more than a cake as the recipe involves making a sticky dough, so it was an interesting change from the cakes I normally make!

 
Suelle from Mainly Baking, who has been brilliant at taking part in this blog challenge, made a savoury potato and cheese dish called Kartoshnik and also Sharlotka, sliced apples cooked in a sweetened egg-rich batter to make a cake or pudding. She decided to cook them both and have a meal inspired by Russia.



I forgot to add my own entry to the linkup, oops! But since I am the host I can include it - and a few other things I made a while back - in the roundup anyway. I've made Shashlik kebabs:

 
and a Russian doll birthday cake, among other things.
 
 
The next challenge should be a lot easier because the Grand Prix is coming from the USA! You have until Tuesday 27 October to send in your American entries using the linky below.
 
 
');

0 comments:

Post a Comment