Sunday, August 21, 2016

Apple and Cinnamon Cake for Diabetics

 
My father-in-law isn’t allowed to eat sugar any more so when it approached his birthday, I decided to make him a sugar-free cake. I wasn’t sure such a thing existed, or would taste good, but I thought it was worth a try if it was that or nothing – and I was actually quite pleased with the result.
 
I found a recipe for an apple and cinnamon cake on the Diabetes UK website it uses just 1 tbsp artificial sweetener (I used xylitol which I bought from Tesco) and the flavour comes from the cinnamon and the fact that there is more apple than cake! It’s a very simple recipe: you just mix the flour, sweetener, baking powder and cinnamon, then mix in the eggs and milk and the melted butter.
 
Peel and slice the apples and add them to the mixture, pour into a cake tin and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
 
I used the recommended size cake tin and my cake turned out to be a bit flatter than the one in the picture, but it tasted really good. I was pleasantly surprised that the lack of sugar didn’t spoil the taste or texture and this is definitely something I would make again. It went down well with the birthday boy too!
 
 
 
I'm sending this to Tea Time Treats, hosted by Karen at Lavender and Lovage.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment