Thursday, August 18, 2016

Summer Soft Drinks: Apple Ice Tea and Orange & Lemon Barley Water

 
 
It's nice to have soft drinks in the summer that are a bit different - especially if you're having a barbecue and don't just want to serve lemonade, water or squash.

I've made two drinks over the last couple of weeks that are delicious and really nice in hot weather - I made up a big jug and served it over ice.

The first one I made was a very simple ice tea using an instant mix from Whittards and the second was orange and lemon barley water, from a recipe in Tesco magazine (see below).
 


 My favourite instant tea from Whittards was peach flavour but they don't seem to make it any more. This time I tried Turkish Apple flavour - I made it up with a little boiling water to dissolve the granules then topped up the jug with cold water and waited for it to cool. I added some sprigs of fresh mint from my garden and some apple slices - a few added extras like this make drinks look even more appealing at summer parties.

I came across the recipe for orange and lemon barley water and realised I'd had no idea you actually use pearl barley to make it.
 
 
 
 
 

To make a large jug, you need:
75g pearl barley
1 lemon and 1 orange, zested and juiced, plus extra slices to serve
3 tbsp. runny honey
 
Soak the pearl barley in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain, then simmer in 1.5 litres of water for 20 minutes.
 
Remove from the heat and add the orange and lemon zest. Allow to steep for 20 minutes.
 
 
 
Strain the liquid to remove the zest and barley and allow to cool. Stir in the orange and lemon juice and the honey and garnish with extra slices of orange and lemon.
 
This is a lovely refreshing drink that tastes as good as, if not better than, the shop bought stuff but with nothing artificial!
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment